Lord Muruga – Kanda Shasti
- Morning: 7:00 am – 12:00 pm (Midday)
- Evening: 4:30 pm – 8:00 pm
All devotees are requested to come and take blessing of Lord Murgan on these auspicious days.
- Sashti is the day that Lord Muruga defeated the demon Soorapadman, when the devascould not tolerate the evil doings of this demon, they approached the younger son of Lord Shiva and Parvati for his assistance. He fought Soorapadman for six days, at the end of which the Lord vanquished the asura. He threw his weapon at him and split Soorapadman into two halves. One half became a peacock, which he took as his Vahana. The other became a rooster and was transformed into his banner.
- The devas rejoiced, they praised the Lord and prayed to him for six days. Devotees usually narrate the Kanda Sashti Kavacham during this period. Whoever fasts and prays to Lord Muruga for the six days of Kanda Sashti is believed to receive Muruga’s blessings. Those who are unable to fast all day are permitted to eat once per day during this period.
- Devotees believe that regular chanting of this song causes the predicaments of life to be resolved and that chanting the full song (Kanda Shasti Kavasam) 36 times a day brings wealth.